Coffee Prices Will Soon Be Cheaper Than Ever?

After reaching record-low levels last year, coffee supplies have rebounded and the price per pound has dropped, unfortunately, consumers likely won't benefit from the decrease in price.

By Tiffany Velasquez | Published

After coffee prices reached a record high just one short year ago, things are looking a bit different as prices are set to begin decreasing. Ideal weather conditions and supply chain issues mostly being sorted out are contributing factors to coffee prices dropping. The coffee prices will likely remain the same in some of your favorite coffee shops despite the ideal conditions that coffee farmers are experiencing. 

In November of 2021, coffee prices reached a record high of nearly three dollars a pound. Coffee reserves were low, and demand was high, which caused a more significant spike in coffee prices. In addition to the high demand for the addicting beverage, weather conditions were less than ideal in some of the essential coffee-growing regions. 

Brazil was experiencing unusual weather that left a significant impact on the coffee industry and thus affected coffee prices. Brazil was experiencing drought and frost that caused a coffee shortage and considerable stress in the industry. This year, things have made a complete turnaround, and mother nature is shining her glorious light on the coffee industry. 

Rainfall in crucial areas like Brazil and Indonesia is proving to be beneficial for coffee crops and making coffee prices dramatically less than they were at this time last year. Coffee prices for the Arabic variety are currently sitting at $1.59. This was a nearly 35% decline from just a few short months ago when prices for Arabic coffee were about $2.50.

Consumers may not feel the decrease in coffee prices when purchasing from the store or coffee shops. Despite the overall drop in coffee prices, other factors will still keep the prices as is in stores and coffee shops around the globe. Costs for things like labor and distribution are still at an all-time high for producers and are the factors for which coffee prices for consumers will stay the same.

coffee prices tim hortons

Coffee lovers will continue to purchase coffee, regardless of coffee prices. Coffee is the most popular drink in the world, and folks aren’t going to stop drinking it anytime soon. Coffee lovers will likely savor and bask in the tantalizing aroma even more. 

Coffee prices at Starbucks have increased by about 6% this past year, and the company sells nearly a whopping $61.3 million worth of coffee daily. Steep coffee prices do not keep coffee lovers from enjoying a piping hot cup of joe whenever they please. In addition to increased coffee prices in some of the favorite coffee shops, prices in stores have also increased.

In-store coffee prices have spiked roughly 15% from January of this year through October, and consumers are not slowing down on their purchases their either. With about 64% of Americans being avid coffee consumers, and 79% of Americans preparing coffee at home, coffee prices are practically irrelevant to consumers. 

For coffee growers and the 125 million people worldwide who depend on coffee as their livelihood, coffee prices are everything. Though farmers are used to a boom-and-bust type of work environment, coffee prices significantly impact them. They work hard to develop farming techniques to keep up with demand and ultimately keep their farms in operation.